LITTLE INSECTS & RODENTS – BIG PROBLEM
STORE MAINTENANCE THROUGH A MAGNIFYING GLASS
How can pests affect your brand image? How to fend off insects and rodents effectively? This is quite serious. That’s why pest control for stores needs to be taken care of professionally.
PEST CONTROL FOR STORES – AN AGE-OLD PROBLEM
Already in the warehouses of ancient Babylon, Egypt and Rome, the ubiquitous bedbugs, mice and rats effectively discouraged wealthy customers from shopping. And they also cast a shadow on the image of suppliers. Long centuries passed, technology entered a whole new dimension, but the problem remained.
Pests in stores in the 21st century are not only a problem for the FMCG sector. It is also a pain for clothing, electronics or household appliance brands. Why? The answer is simple. In stores, insects and rodents find what they like best, i.e., above all, numerous hiding places and warmth. And in grocery stores – unlimited access to a variety of food.
HOW CAN PESTS HURT YOUR STORES?
When uninvited guests cross your plans
The marketing department has just launched a life-style campaign to emphasize high quality and present the latest trends. The promotion has done its job and customers are storming your stores. The problem is that many of them noticed bedbugs in the fabrics. And perhaps a cockroach in the fitting room that had come to visit from the back room. Lots of people have posted photos on social media with comments that are anything but flattering.
How can pests in stores harm you?
The above story sounds amusing enough, but the consequences can be dire. Because the problem with pests in the store can translate into:
- Brand credibility crisis
- decline in brand confidence
- decrease in sales
- creating stereotypes about the company
- customers turning to competition
PEST CONTROL FOR STORES – KNOW YOUR ENEMY
Shop intruders on target
The most common pests invading stores are:
- bedbugs – most often found in clothes, fabrics, and damp and dark places. You will find them in the nooks and crannies of the back office or in warehouses. But also on the sales floor!
- cockroaches – most often they can be found near bathrooms, cold rooms, refrigerators, sewage pipes and in back-up rooms. From here, they easily get into the commercial space.
- mice or rats – they like dark back rooms, around toilets and garbage cans. As the most mobile of pests, they often go on trips between shelves or to the fitting room.
PEST CONTROL FOR STORES – HOW TO DO THIS RIGHT?
Preventing visits from unwanted guests
The old saying goes that prevention is better than cure. In the case of pests, prevention is extremely important. It’s best to eliminate the problem at the source. So, the key is:
- inspection upon receipt of goods
- planned back-end and warehouse inspections
- proper storage practices
- systematic cleaning
Professional pest control services for stores
Of course, it is worth hiring a company that, as part of their comprehensive STORE MAINTENANCE services, removes pests and, above all, prevents their nesting.
Contrary to appearances, fighting pests on your own is not that simple. In order to fight
them effectively, you should, among others:
- skillfully recognize the traces of their presence
- know the habits of insects and rodents
- recognize the source and the routes they travel
- recognize the degree of danger
- complete inspection cards properly
- counter them appropriately
- use safe preventive measures that will not disturb the functioning of the store
- clean and wash general surfaces, storage niches, break rooms, bathrooms and toilets, shelves and surfaces under shelves and under gondolas
- control the work of external companies and monitor the effects of their disinfection and deratization
Having problems with rodents or insects in your stores? Contact us immediately! CAPS Group reactive maintenance offer include also pest control services in stores.
Read about our Store Maintenance services we provide for retailers across Europe.